The web site of the Norwegian Trekking Association (DNT) is a useful place to find information on trekking, both in Kvam, the wider Hardanger region and elsewhere in Vestland and Norway. Within Kvam municipality, there are three open mountain cabins operated by DNT: Breidablik, Kiellanbu and Vending. In neighboring Samnanger, you find Gullhorgabu, and in Vaksdal you find Høgabu. Follow the links for Norwegian-language information on each of them .For more information on DNT cabins in general, refer to their web site.
The Norwegian outdoors is fantastic, but please be aware that hiking (or skiing) in it can be challenging, with varying terrain and weather, meaning that it's important to be well prepared, to listen to the advice of experience trekkers and skiers, and to follow the "Mountain Code", or fjellvettreglene, in Norwegian.
- Plan your trip and inform others about the route you have selected.
- Adapt the planned routes according to ability and conditions.
- Pay attention to the weather and the avalanche warnings.
- Be prepared for bad weather and frost, even on short trips.
- Bring the necessary equipment to help yourself and others.
- Choose safe routes. Recognize avalanche terrain and unsafe ice.
- Use a map and a compass. Always know where you are.
- Don't be ashamed to turn around.
- Conserve your energy and seek shelter if necessary.
For further advice, see the DNT web site.
You can also find information on a number of hiking routes in the Hardanger region at hardangerfjord.com, with downloadable fact sheets on each route. Suggestions in Kvam include:
On the web site ut.no (in Norwegian only) you will also find a number of suggested routes for hiking and trekking, including both relatively easy and extremely challenging ones.