Fishing permits or other licences are not required either for deep sea fishing or fishing from the shore, provided that you follow a set of simple rules (for more information, see

To go freshwater fishing, you need a fishing license (fiskekort in Norwegian) or permission from the holder(s) of the fishing rights. 

If you are going to fish for salmon, sea trout or arctic char (i.e. in lakes or rivers where these are present), you also have to pay a national fishing fee. Children and youth under the age of 18 are not required to pay the fee. For more information on the Norwegian fishing fee in English, German, Polish and Finnish, see

For children below the age of 16, fishing is free between January 1 and August 20. However, this only applies for fishing with a rod and a hand line. Furthermore, it does not apply for fishing in brooks, rivers or lakes where there is salmon, sea trout or arctic char (laks, sjøørret, sjørøye), for which a local fishing license is then necessary. For more information, refer to

In Kvam, the sale of fishing licenses for the area Øystese aust is handled by the local association for hunting and fishing in Øystese. This area covers a large area in the mountains north of the Hardangerfjord, from Øystese in the south to Hamlagrø in the north, and from Øystese vest / Fuglafjell / Vaksdal in the west towards Fyksesund / Botnen / Flatabødalen in the east.

A fishing license can be acquired at MX-sport in Øystese, at Fetet in Fitjadalen, between Osen and Lie by Hamlagrøvatnet or through using the Vipps payment service, nr. 101022. For more information, please refer to the web site of the Øystese egar- og fiskarlag.